These are a few of my favorite dialogues!
- People are always asking me if I know Tyler Durden
- I felt like destroying something beautiful
- If you woke up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?
- With a gun barrel between your teeth, you speak only in vowels.
- Marla Singer: she's like the scratch on the roof of your mouth that would heal if you would just stop tonguing it, but you can't.
- If I had a tumour, I'd name it Marla.
- The things you own, they end up owning you.
- You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. We are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
- Self-improvement is masturbation. Now, self-destruction …
- Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God?
- You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen. We don't need Him. Fuck damnation, man, fuck redemption! If we are God's unwanted children, so be it!
- [To the Chief of Police] Hi. You're going to call off your rigorous investigation. You're going to publicly state that there is no underground group. Or these guys are going to take your balls. We're going to send one to the New York Times, one to the L.A. Times press-release-style. Look, the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not fuck with us.
- You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else.
- A condom is the glass slipper of our generation. You slip one on when you meet a stranger. You dance all night. Then, you throw it away … the condom, I mean, not the stranger.
- Pre Movie Warning: "If you are reading this, then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity, you will become a statistic. You have been warned … Tyler."
Man. I'm stunned. Even Gordimer didn't do this to me.